Friday, June 1, 2012


Reflection on El Salvador


It is very difficult to sum up my experience here in El Salvador but I will try my best. I’ve enjoyed my time here so much that there really aren’t any words to explain the journey that God has blessed me with so far. From the very beginning, the Lord blessed my support to be able to come here and I know it was His plan that I am down here.
           
My initial expectations before I came here have been completely blown away. From the mission house, to the food, to the wonderful hospitality that is offered here, it has been wonderful. The only expectation I had that didn’t turn out quite the way I wanted was the clinic. Initially my heart was set on working only in the medical clinic and learning more on what it means to be a medical missionary. But it’s more of a formal doctor’s office and not much of a fast-paced environment that needs much outside help with the patients. Despite this, I think it has been good because I have learned to work in more humbling areas which still help the clinic out a lot. I honestly didn’t have much interest in teaching English but I think it’s funny how God has completely changed that and it is actually the ministry that I enjoy and love the most. Having this English class in an area that is heavily impacted by gangs has given these kids an opportunity to do something else, rather than be involved in the gangs. It also allow them to learn a language that can help them in the future. Knowing that God is allowing me to be a part of this is such a privilege.
          
I have enjoyed much of this country and all of the people in it. The staff here at Christ for the City is incredible. The thing I love most about all of them is that they admit and know they are not perfect and have much to learn and grow in Christ. Despite recognizing their faults, they give all their hearts into the ministries God has given them. It’s been a true honor to work with the people here in El Salvador, grow with them, and become a close friend. I wouldn’t have traded any of the staff that I have been blessed to know with anyone else. The love that these Salvadorians have is extremely great. They have been so helpful to me in many aspects especially my love and wanting to learn more Spanish. I have had a great experience bettering my speaking skills in a language that absolutely enchants me.
          
I think one of the biggest things God has shown me during my time here is how to love like Jesus without words. He has taught me that a missionary doesn’t necessarily mean you’re always going out into the streets preaching the Gospel. As important as it is to share Christ…it’s more important and even vital to get to know and truly love those that are around you. When I first came here I didn’t know a whole lot of “spiritual’ words in Spanish so I physically was not able to speak much about Christ to the people here. But the Lord taught me how essential it is to truly LIVE with the people here, know their hearts, gain their trust, and love on them. Whether it’s a hug, a smile, or simply listening to that person, it speaks volumes and it demonstrates the kind of actions that Jesus did Himself. But just as the Lord often does, after learning this valuable lesson, He completely opened the door for me to physically speak about Christ and His love. After much prayer and waiting, different opportunities arose where I was able to explain why I have love for them, why I am here, and simply speak the name of Jesus. I was able to encourage a little boy who was getting made fun of and tell him that the only opinion that matters is the opinion of God. I got to share my full testimony to a girl…in Spanish! I even shared a small devotion with the kids at the soccer school…in Spanish. I have no words to say except thank you Lord for giving me the words to speak and the opportunity to do it.
          
The Lord has been so kind to me and the other missionaries that have lived with me by keeping us safe and protected. I have felt very safe while being down here in El Salvador and it has added to a great experience. I know that God is growing this ministry and will send down the right followers to continue to do His work. As Psalm 147:17 says, “The Lord is righteous in all his ways and loving toward all he has made”. God surly has been loving and kind to me while I’ve been here for these 4 months. I praise Him for the opportunity to serve here and prepare me for whatever is to come in my life. All we need to do is wait and listen for the Lord, then once we hear Him call step out in obedience because He is worth it.
         
This time has been so precious to me and the memories will forever be in my heart. One question that I would ask to other believers is…are you willing to serve Christ out of your love for Him? Jesus said, “The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few”. The harvest is plentiful in El Salvador, but who will be the worker?

With the sweet love of Christ,

Lauren DeHays

No comments:

Post a Comment