Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Repost: Wherever You Are, Serve Well

This is the second post in our series of posts from the past that you probably missed. If you haven't seen it yet, check out the first, Skunk in a Bottle. And don't forget to keep checking back regularly for content - we are constantly putting up new things just for you!

Three Urban Plunge participants serving at Heartland Hope Mission!
By Julie Timms, former Urban Plunge employee 


  Not too long ago, I had the opportunity to help lead a round table discussion with some college students.  The discussion centered around two main questions.  Is there such a thing as a "calling"?  Is reaching unreached people groups more important than bringing the Gospel to those in the U.S.?  Those in the room came from a mixture of backgrounds and experiences, and they all held to their own opinions on the debate.

     I wrote a post titled "Reaching Our Jerusalem".  In that post, I referenced Acts 1:8, which directs us to serve our community and city, our nation at large, and the ends of the earth.  I think that much truth can be found in that verse.  Where we are now is just as vital as "the ends of the earth".  While we should never diminish the significance of going overseas, I think that sometimes we can get caught up in the hype of the overseas missionary.  Relevant Magazine has an excellent article that discusses this subject; it's called "We Need Boring Christians".

     Based on my understanding of Jesus, I know that He loves everyone in the world equally, and He died for all.  He desires that each one of us should come into a saving faith.  Thinking about it this way, it means that the unreached people groups that have never heard the Gospel before are just as important as those in the U.S. who have potentially heard the Gospel message many times.  And the reverse is also absolutely true: Americans need to hear the Gospel and feel the love of Jesus as much as the unreached.  I think that we need to be careful not to classify non-believing Americans as unworthy of hearing and receiving the Gospel.  The mentality that they've had their chance to hear the Gospel but they rejected it should be refuted.  Someday, Jesus will return.  How will we answer Him?

     I would probably be classified as a boring Christian.  Growing up in a Midwest farm family, the furthest I've ever traveled was to Florida when I was six.  I went to a local Christian university, where a big emphasis was placed on intercultural ministry, especially going overseas.  I distinctly remember several conversations I had with different students who were Intercultural Studies majors.  They just couldn't seem to understand why I didn't want to go overseas.  I'm not in the slightest against going out of the country someday on a short-term mission trip, if the timing is right.  I don't feel called, however, to do long-term mission work out of the country.   After one mission conference session, I was talking with a student in the lunch line.  I was honest with him and said, "While listening to the guy share his incredible stories is really cool, I just don't feel that burning in my heart that God's calling me overseas." 

     I am a big proponent of local missions, marketplace ministry, and being present and active in the here and now.  I know of people with grand plans to serve God overseas someday.  It's wonderful that they feel God leading them to Africa and other places.  The problem, however, is that they are not present where God has them now.  All of their energy and focus seems to be on getting overseas someday, and they miss out on the opportunities available right where they are.

Let not our longing slay the appetite of our living. - Jim Elliot  

I think that Jim Elliot was exactly right.  We are called to serve well, wherever we are.  Galatians 6:9 says, "Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up."  1 Peter 4:10 states, "Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms."  And one more verse, found in 2 Corinthians 9:7b, which easily can relate to serving: "God loves it when the giver delights in the giving."  I don't think any of these verses talk about putting your serving on hold.

Have you ever realized that you can give things to God that are of value to Him?  Or are you just sitting around daydreaming about the greatness of His redemption, while neglecting all the things you could be doing for Him?  I'm not referring to works which could be regarded as divine and miraculous, but ordinary, simple human things - things which would be evidence to God that you are totally surrendered to Him." - Oswald Chambers

     I'll be the first to admit that it's not always easy to remain present and active in the here and now.  I'm a dreamer, so I have a tendency to squander my thought life thinking about a glorious, idealistic future.  God is faithful, however, and He continually brings people and opportunities into my life to ground me in the present-day.  Christ For the City offers plenty of ways to serve, both in your community and around the world.  If you're interested in going out of the country, get a group together and take a short-term mission trip to a Latin country. Or, go as a short-term individual for one month to a year.  You can even get involved in the U.S., through our Urban Plunge program.  Just by going on an Urban Plunge, you are guaranteed exposure to at least 7-9 ministries and organizations.  We make it easy to reach out and serve.  If you don't know where to start, just start small.  The more you serve, the easier it becomes.  And, I can resolutely say that God will bless your serving tenfold.

     Wherever you are, serve well.  

No comments:

Post a Comment