Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Jehovah Jireh Lives Up To His Name

Lauren DeHays is just your average college grad. Having visited El Salvador several times, she knew God had something special for her there. A few months later, she was preparing to go on the mission field as a part of Christ For the City International. But sometimes, even getting there can be a challenging ordeal, especially when it comes to the area of finances...




I sent out my first letter in February to family, family friends, and close friends of mine.

This was the most “comfortable” form of fundraising for me and I was hoping that that would be enough. Although I had heard and read about how else to raise all your support, I honestly didn't want to do much more than that because my idea of “asking for money” made me feel extremely uncomfortable. I really disliked the idea of having to be intentional about it.

So, my account slowly grew with one-time donations. I continued to pray and talk to people about this next step that God has for me whenever the opportunity arose. However, I was passively waiting, hoping that the letters and prayers would be enough to get me fully funded. Over the next few months, as my target goal of a September departure date approached, I was nowhere near being fully funded and only had a handful of people who were committed to donating monthly. That’s when the anxiousness, frustration, and discouragement started to settle in.

I was pretty disappointed - even doubting if God would truly provide for me to go and serve in El Salvador. I sent out another letter, but only a few more people jumped on board to support. Through this process I really wrestled with trusting in God’s provision and also began to see that I wasn't necessarily putting “feet to my prayers.” I went back and forth, thinking that all I needed to do was trust God and wait on Him, or trust in God yet actively raise support - even though it was something I was uncomfortable about.

As September ended, I finally came to the point where I was willing to do whatever it took and opened my mind and heart to God to trust Him to guide me. Once I surrendered support raising to God, that’s when things started happening.

The Lord used lots of wonderful Godly people to speak wisdom into my life. He also gave me a boldness to ASK, pick up the phone,  meet face to face with people and churches, and to not cross anyone off of the list. Thanks to Facebook, I sent out messages to so many different people explaining God’s calling for me, my need, and asking for their support and being part of this ministry. I set up calls with quite a few people to explain more about what I would be doing in El Salvador and how they could help. I spoke with some that I could physically travel nearby and talk in person, but for most people the Facebook message was enough.

So praise God, that’s how it all came in at once and I was able to leave for El Salvador. You know, it’s so cool looking back because I know without a doubt that God’s timing was everything. Not only did He work in my heart to help me navigate through fundraising and show me what a blessing it is to partner with so many different people in ministry; but by not being in El Salvador when I wanted to I was able to really draw closer to God and be poured into by others through the work of the Holy Spirit. I wouldn't have traded that for anything! 

I had always heard that support raising is a growth process with the Lord and a whole new level of trusting in Him; and I can attest that it’s certainly true. Although it was really difficult, I am gratefull because of the Spiritual growth and blessings that God gave me through that time.

For more stories and information about Lauren, check out her blog at http://laurentoelsalvador.blogspot.com/. Also, to check out the ministry of the CFCI base she is working at, check out their page: http://cpcielsalvador.org/en/index.

No comments:

Post a Comment