Thursday, October 10, 2013

The Power of Compassion

The Power of Compassion
We are called to be the hands and feet of Christ no matter where we are… as a missionary in language school it is easy to feel as though we are on the bench right now, watching the other players be His hands and feet as we continue to prepare. However, God’s desire to use us for His glory in each moment, as He has accordingly prepared us for that particular moment was made awesomely clear to us through a dinner out with our friends.

We had bussed in to San Jose to visit Mercado Central for Spanish application practice and some of the best tasting coffee in Costa Rica. After purchasing the coffee, our party of four adults and two children retired to a small, very crowded restaurant for dinner and fellowship. The restaurant was so crowded that we were placed at an awkward spot directly in front of the entrance door. Halfway through our dinner, a man entered. He looked dirty and we knew immediately he was a beggar who saw our white complexion through the glass panels of the restaurant door and decided to try his luck. He began an exchange with our friend, who was seated beside me (Lisa). I couldn't hear exactly what they were saying but I really wondered how she would handle this. It was definitely awkward being the only gringos in the restaurant, sitting directly inside of the entrance where everyone coming in could have stumbled into the end of our table, and now having this man enter and interrupt our dinner. After about 30 seconds, my friend rose from her seat and motioned for the man to sit down in her seat beside me. He did so, and commenced to finish off all of the half eaten dinner on her plate. The door man of the restaurant rolled his eyes as she squeezed into the seat across from me with her daughter and began to talk with the man who had joined us.

We learned his name was Gerardo and he had not eaten for 3 days. I tried to finish my own food, but suddenly wasn't hungry any more. We boxed up the all of the other food at our table for him to take with him. He told us that he slept on the street and that if he only had 2,000 colones ($4) he could spend the night in a hotel. $4??? Jesse handed me the money, which I placed on top of the food we had boxed up. When God places you awkwardly in the doorway, it is because he wants someone to run into you.

Gerardo told us many times he wished us blessings and that we would be in his heart, but what stuck with us the most was that he also repeated several times “God is with you all.” Yes, we do have God with us. Others in the restaurant were definitely taking notice, but we knew this was never about us. It was about allowing Jesus to be who they saw. If Gerardo’s statement is true for all of us and God is with us... why don’t we reflect him so clearly more often?

Our dear friend showed that night, when she invited a beggar to our table in that crowded restaurant that God can use us as his hands and feet anytime anywhere… if we are only willing to reflect His light without hesitation.

God bless you!!!

Jesse and Lisa 
Matthew 25:35
For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in.  V 40  I tell you the truth, whatever you did for the least of one of these brothers of mine, you have done for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment