Monday, April 16, 2012


Oh, the Blessings You'll Give... and Get!
By Cristina Almanza, Short-term Missionary


For many years I had the desire to be a missionary. One night while working I felt that it was time. I found Christ For the City International via the internet. I sent an email to request information and then I prayed that if it was God's will that He would open doors. He did! As I prepared for my trip, I saw God work wonders as He confirmed I was following His will.


My experience in Costa Rica taught me that even if God took me out of my comfort zone, that He would never take me out of His hands. I learned to
trust God like never before.  


As I walked through the slums of Guarari, I saw children without shoes and thought about how many times we buy shoes just to match an outfit. I also noticed a need in them for more than material things...a need for God. Maybe I couldn't supply all their needs, but I knew I could share with them LOVE and HOPE. I told them that with God anything is possible!  


On my last day in Guarari I was filled with sadness. My new friends, Anjolie (14) and her brother Jesus (12) walked up to me so excited. Their faces lit up as they handed me a plastic bag and waited for me to open it. Inside the bag was a beautiful, small wooden ox cart. I remembered only five days ago when I had visited them. I drank out of a broken glass and sat on a worn out couch. Their shared bedroom only had one thin mattress in it. Yet they found it in their hearts to give me this special gift.  


Through this trip, God has taught me that all I need to make a difference in this world is a willing heart. He will handle the rest.




No comments:

Post a Comment